Invisalign in Glen Mills, PA is a popular orthodontic treatment that uses clear, custom-made aligners to straighten teeth. Unlike traditional metal braces, Invisalign aligners are removable, making it easier to maintain good oral hygiene and enjoy your favorite foods. However, there are still some dietary restrictions that patients need to follow to ensure the treatment's success.
Invisalign and Food Restrictions
Invisalign aligners must be worn for at least 22 hours daily to be effective. This means you'll wear them while eating and drinking, which can pose some challenges. While Invisalign aligners are made of durable, medical-grade plastic, they are not indestructible. Certain foods and drinks can damage or stain the aligners, affecting their fit and performance. To avoid this, it's best to avoid the following foods and drinks while wearing Invisalign aligners:
- Sticky and chewy foods - Gum, caramel, toffee, and other sticky and chewy foods can get stuck to your aligners, making them difficult to clean properly. This can also damage the aligners or cause them to become loose.
- Hard and crunchy foods - Popcorn, chips, nuts, and other hard and crunchy foods can cause the aligners to crack or break. They can also shift the aligners out of place, affecting their effectiveness.
- Sugary and acidic foods and drinks - Soft drinks, fruit juices, and other sugary and acidic foods and drinks can lead to tooth decay and other dental issues. They can also cause the aligners to stain and become discolored.
Tips for Eating with Invisalign
While there are some foods and drinks to avoid while wearing Invisalign aligners, you can still enjoy most of your favorite foods. Here are some tips to make eating with Invisalign easier:
- Cut food into smaller pieces - Cutting food into smaller pieces can make eating easier with Invisalign aligners. This also helps prevent damage to the aligners.
- Clean aligners after eating - It's essential to clean your aligners after eating to remove any food debris and prevent bacterial buildup. Rinse your aligners with water and brush them gently with a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Drink water regularly - Water can help flush out food particles from your mouth and aligners. It also helps prevent dry mouth, which can lead to bad breath and other dental issues.
Maintaining Good Dental Hygiene
Good dental hygiene is crucial during Invisalign treatment to prevent dental issues and ensure the treatment's success. Here are some tips for maintaining good dental hygiene:
- Brush and floss regularly - Brush your teeth twice daily and floss daily to remove plaque and food particles from your teeth and gums.
- Clean aligners daily - Clean your aligners daily to prevent bacterial buildup and keep them looking clear and bright.
- Schedule regular dental check-ups - Regular dental check-ups can help identify any dental issues early on and prevent them from worsening.
Are You Interested in Invisalign in Glen Mills PA?
At Swiatek Orthodontics, we can provide reliable clear aligners to help straighten your teeth. Give us a call to get started on your treatment!
*Invisalign®, the Invisalign logo, and iTero®, among others, are trademarks and/ or service marks of Align Technology, Inc. or one of its subsidiaries or affiliated companies and may be registered in the U.S. and/or other countries.